Harleston GreenIn 1786, Scottish merchants formed the first golf club in the United States known as "Harleston Green" in Charleston, South Carolina. The course located between Calhoun and Beaufain streets stretching from Rutledge Ave to the Ashley River. The golf ball of the time was known as a "feathery" which was made from bullhide and boiled goose feathers. Legend has it that part of Harleston Green’s membership fee was used to “maintain the green,” now called “green fees.”